When it comes to diamonds, there are so many different shapes, sizes, and cuts to choose from. It can be a bit overwhelming, especially if you’re not familiar with all the terminology. When looking at your options, the cut of the diamond is one of the first decisions you’ll need to make.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss one popular option: the princess cut diamond. A princess cut combines a timeless, classic style with a touch of modern flair. We’ll explore why so many choose this style and provide some tips on how you can find the perfect diamond for yourself or your loved one.
What Are Princess Cut Diamonds?
A princess cut diamond is a type of modified brilliant-cut diamond. The shape resembles an inverted pyramid. When viewed from the top, the diamond looks like a perfect square or rectangle.
It is called a “princess cut” because the facets on the top of the diamond are cut in a way that makes them resemble a crown or tiara.
It’s a relatively new diamond cut, having only been invented in the 1960’s. It popularized in the 1970’s and has rapidly become one of the most sought-after diamonds used in engagement rings and other fine jewelry today.
Why Choose A Princess Cut Diamond For An Engagement Ring?
For those considering popping the question, one of the most important decisions to make is what type of ring to buy. There are so many options to consider. So, why choose a princess cut diamond engagement ring? There are several reasons: they’re stunningly beautiful, timeless and budget-friendly, and they’re available in a variety of colors.
Another perk—princess cut diamonds look good on everyone. Whether you have long nails or short nails, square fingers or round fingers, a princess cut diamond is always complimentary.
If you’re in the market for an engagement ring with a unique shape, here are 5 reasons to consider a princess cut diamond:
- Brilliance – Princess cut diamonds usually have 50-58 facets, which means more light is reflected back to the viewer for the ultimate shimmer. This excellent clarity and luster make them a popular choice for brides-to-be looking for a uniform shape that really sparkles.
- Durability – Princess cut diamonds are one of the most durable on the market. The corners of the diamonds are usually cut at a 90-degree angle, giving the diamond its unique squared-off look while also making them less likely to chip or break.
- Size & Shape – One of the main benefits of a princess cut diamond is that it can appear larger than other cuts with the same carat weight. This is because the princess cut has a large surface area with a shallow crown and a deep pavilion which makes them appear bigger than they actually are.
- Cost – Because they require less weight to be cut from the original diamond, they tend to be less expensive than other diamond cuts, like round brilliant or cushion cut diamonds, that use more of the diamond rough.
- Versatility – Princess cut diamonds are versatile enough to work for any type of jewelry, but it is a big perk for those shopping for a diamond engagement ring. It can be used in an array of settings, giving the buyer more options to choose from. They can be alone in a solitaire setting, in a three-stone setting, or as part of a larger diamond cluster. They can easily be combined with other shapes, like emerald or marquise diamonds, to create a beautiful and distinctive design that is sure to impress.
Princess cut diamonds are a popular choice for engagement rings because they are an affordable option that can stand the test of time better than some other diamond cuts.
If you’re looking for a truly royal experience with your engagement, then there’s only one choice for your fiancée-to-be: the princess cut.
Use the 4C’s to Find A Quality Princess Cut Diamond
If you’re considering a princess cut diamond, be sure to do your research to find a high-quality stone. As you shop around, consider the four Cs of diamonds: cut, color, clarity, and carat weight. These factors will affect the price, but with a little bit of knowledge, you can find a beautiful diamond that will last a lifetime and not break the bank.
- Cut – One of the most important factors is the cut of the diamond. The cut can affect its sparkle, its durability, and ultimately— its price. This is judged on a scale from excellent to poor. A well-cut diamond will have excellent symmetry and a high proportion of facets giving it incredible sparkle and fire.
- Clarity – The clarity is judged on a scale from flawless to included, which is determined by the number of blemishes or inclusions on the diamond. A flawless princess cut diamond is a very rare find.
- Color – The color is judged on a scale from the lowest quality, Z (a yellow hued diamond), to the highest quality of D (no hue). Look for a quality princess cut diamond that is colorless or near-colorless.
- Carat – The size of a diamond is measured in carats. One carat is equal to 200 milligrams—the higher the carat weight, the higher the price will be.
Keep these 4 C’s in mind when shopping so that you can find the best possible option within your budget.
How to Maintain Your Princess Cut Diamond
Once you have chosen the perfect princess cut diamond, it’s important to know how to properly care for it.
Be sure to store it in a safe place, away from other jewelry that could scratch it. While getting your diamond wet isn’t necessarily bad for the diamond, it isn’t recommended to continuously wear it in places like the shower, pools or hot tubs as over time the chemicals can affect the metal in your mounting which could cause your stone to come loose or fall out.
When cleaning your diamond, taking it to a trusted jeweler is recommended so you know your diamond will be cleaned thoroughly and safely. Or you can use a soft brush, like an old toothbrush, with mild soap and water or a jewelry cleaning solution that is recommended from your jeweler to clean your jewels at home. Just be sure to follow the directions that are provided on the jar of cleaning solution. If you have any questions regarding the care for your jewels, please call your trusted jeweler.
By following these simple care tips, you can keep your princess cut diamond looking beautiful for years to come!
Brinker’s Jewelers Can Help Guide You In the Right Direction
A princess cut diamond is a perfect choice for anyone who wants to feel like royalty. It’s an affordable diamond that combines beauty and symmetry. The unique shape of the princess cut makes it appear larger than other diamond cuts, which means you get more bang for your buck.
Whether you’re looking for an engagement ring, a pendant, or even earrings, the princess cut is sure to add a touch of class and elegance to any piece.
A qualified jeweler can help you choose a diamond that is not only beautiful but also within your budget.
Brinker’s Jewelers has a wide selection of engagement rings and fashion jewelry in all different shapes, sizes, and colors. Visit our store today or shop our online selection of modern and stylish diamond jewelry and engagement rings.